Thursday, June 26, 2008
Wanna hear a good adventure? It all starts out on an innocent little evening run...
I left around 8:15, just as the fog came rolling in. No--more like it just seeped up between the trees and was suddenly there. I had a huge grin on my face as I jogged into the wonderland in created. I headed down roads I'd run on before, and then off onto some sandy paths along the beach. It was all familiar, but diffferent in the misted dusk. I could only see my immediate surroundings, and everything white seemed to glow--especially the dasises. Can anyone imagine cooler conditions to run in? As I ran, condensation gathered on my face and my breath came out in puffs like it was 20 degrees outside. It was weird, and fun. I didn't care when things were suddenly unfamiliar--I just kept pushing through the dunes until I broke onto a dirt road. The light was geting dimmer faster, but there was so much still for me to explore! Besides, the road was bending back in the right direction...and there were houses, every half mile or so. I wasn't worried. My feet hit the dirt and format yelled in my ear: "life is just a gamble; gamble if you want to win!" I want to win! I didn't realize how dangerous the price was until the first car came by. It went slower and slower until it finally passed and sped off. I looked strait ahead as it went alongside me, feigning confidence that I knew where I was going when it really hit me--I had no idea where I was going. And the road just kept weeving through the lowland tundra with no promise of change...but turning back seemed almost as formodible as going forward with only twisting, forking sand paths behind me and the tangible darkness settling dankly all around. So...I kept going. Faster. The road weaved and dipped through the unknown country, and finally turned into a more foresty-looking area. That didn't mean safety, but any change was a welcome sight--reminding me I hadn't actually run off the face of the earth. My ipod rested silently in my sweaty palm--I'd turned it off so I could be more wary. That may have been a bad idea, though, because now every tiny sound sent my eyes darting side to side, up ahead, and then behind. It was creeeeepy! The trees bent over my dark dirt road in a gloomy cavern-style arch, like on Beauty and the Beast when her dad gets lost with Philip. I had no choice! I just pressed into the darkenss, hoping beyond hope that civilization would show its signs once more. A few other cars passed me...but no way was I going to stop any of them! In fact, every time I saw one coming I wanted to hide in the trees just in case. For fear of lime disease-infested ticks, though, I kept on the road with cautious eyes. Luckily, no one stopped. Then I saw the light ahead. I know what you're picturing: a bright, warm, welcoming light at the end of a dark tunnel of trees, offering peace and hope and happiness to the weary traveler, right? Wrong. It was red, and it reflected off the fog at the opening of the forested wasteland, looking very creepy. I also heard a low rumbling sound. Anyone have a guess as to where I was? The airport. But not the bustling, securitied, helpful side of the airport; I could see that fields and lightyears away. I was on the other side of the runways, mingled in with the shuttle bus parking lot, huge crate storage areas, trucks and construction vehicles and big, ominious buildings all around. Bad surroundings for being alone at night. Bad surroundings for being alone in the day. And how the heck was I supposed to pick my way out of this one? It was dark now. I was stuck. But guess who brought her cell phone with her! Haha--all that time I had you all so anxious for me! I found Leslie's number (Meg was at work) and waited for the answer, pacing under a protective circle of glorious street lamp. The dear girl answered right away, and when I told her my situation, guess what she proceded to do? She tried to locate me on her Nantucket bike map! It wasn't long before we both realized the futility of that attempt. Then she notified Jim and the two of them headed off in the truck to find me. All the while, Leslie stayed on the phone with me, telling me jokes to brighten the circumstances. She's so great! Jim assured Leslie he knew right where I was from my description...but 20 minutes later it was evident that wasn't the case. So...Jim called Sue, who called the airport, who gave her directions to what sounded like my locations, who then called Jim and forwarded the information, who carried them out perfectly and became a shining savior for me that night. He arrived just in time to pick me up and leave before the Nantucket police showed up to the scene, looking to save me too! Lucky I got out of there first--my story is embarrasing enough without gluing it to my face for all the peace officers of our small town to recognize. So there you go. Adventurous? I'd say so. And don't worry. I learned my lesson.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhaha steph! YOU ARE NOT IN KANSAS/IF ANYMORE!!!
Why does this story not surprise me? You are so out of your mind when you're running.
and thus we see, children, how the devil leads us from beautiful things on through the darkness of sin until we can't find our way out without help. i smell a sunday talk story...
HAHAAH.... gloria, she did use it in sunday school... you knew it!
also- can i please emphasize that the firemen were ready to go and get her and we had to call them and tell them we found her - I could not stop worrying and laughing and well ya know - ya just can't help but love our steph.
I wish I had some amazing life changing story like that to tell in my talk this Sunday. No me gusta...
I sure hope your poor mother doesn't read this! Honestly, where do you get this crazy spirit? Oh, that's right, Grandma Eva. She would appreciate it. Love ya lady!
Post a Comment