I don't know Gerard, but I feel a special connection to him because my DAD just turned 50 (congratulations Dad). Gerard's good wife booked him a private charter on the Endeavor, and then came down early to get things settled before Gerard arrived. She climed in the boat and gave me the paltry task of picking up her husbandthe Gazibo (a very lovely little booz joint down the dock) . As we herded him into the boat (I say herded because that's basically what we did...poor old tipsy man that he was on such a joyous occasion) I congratulated him on his well-lived life and sent them into the sunset. I'm sure they had a marvelous time, because as they clambored off he was much more than tipsy...to the point where I worried if I'd have to do an arm-around-the-shoulders escort up the steps with him. He laughed and tripped and barely caught his old body several times, and I couldn't help but wonder: is it necessary to go through such danger and pain for good celebration?
This blog is for you, Dad. Thank you for celebrating 50 years of being sober this year. If you were on the island, I'd have booked you a private charter too. I love you!
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
haha. go ahead and TRY to imagine your dad so drunk that he can't walk by himself, about to sail off in a private yacht that becky booked for him. just try it.
i did, and it was pretty funny.
Post a Comment