As i sit cross-legged in my tall fold-out chair gathering business from susceptible tourists, an older man asks me where I'm from.
"Idaho," I gladly answer, to which he responds,
"Wow! How did your parents feel about you coming such a long way from home?" and then adds with a little wink, "Did they know what you were coming out to?"
I smile. "They trust me."
"Ah, but do you trust yourself?" he laughs delightedly.
Behind the man, a fishing charter full of college kids heads out to sea, and one boy yells triumphantly, "This isn't a fishing boat! This is beer boat! Yeah! Woooooo!" waving his can like a trophy above his head.
"I'm not tempted."
I really don't know a time in my life when my words have been more honest.
Memorial Day weekend has a new name here on Nantucket: Figawi. Cool hugh? Don't ask where the name came from. It's inapropriate. I'm finding a lot of stuff about this island is inapropriate. You can read up a little on it, though, at http://www.figawi.com/page/about.
Otherwise, I'll tell you this. There's a lot of beer. And a lot of yachts. And a lot of the most interresting stuff I've seen happen in all my life. Oh, and all the sailboats were pretty.
So, while our second weekend out here was surrounded by relentless beer and partying, the first weekend was surrounded by relentless wine and fine dining. It was what is known to the outside world (outside of pure, dry Utah) as Wine Fest. Think Meg and I were bored?
Nope.
I served dinner at a Nantucket Mansion. Everyone who ate paid $450 a head, and everyone expected a flawless dinner and exquisite wine. Served by me. Wanna know what I served? So do I...
Wanna know what I got for my services? An $88 scarf. For keeps.



2 comments:
let's see the scarf! post a picture.
oh, and i have a BONE to pick with you two! read my blog.
Oh wow. That Figawi is pretty inappropriate. I'm glad they shortened it.
Do you trust yourself? Ha ha ha.
Post a Comment