Thursday, May 22, 2008

No, we're not heartbroken.

I realized today that our soundtrack might make it seem that way. Actually, Meg and I are serenaded by Rihanna at least every half hour at our new job as we sit neatly folding hoodies displaying an arched NANTUCKET across the front...I couldn't help but add her to our record of the island.

Life has been so...ideal since we came here. Ok, no...that's not quite true. We've had our fair share of very awkward and strange interactions ever since we stepped off the plane that last day in April. But honestly, our transportation here is rickety bicycles! We know our local grocer by her frist name (Paula, dear Paula...)! We can sit and read books on benches that line cobblestone streets! Plus, when I went for a run this morning, guess where I ended up? That's right: sandy beaches in the middle of a foggy sunrise...it was breathtaking! What do you do at a time like that but pull off your shoes and socks and run into the waves? So I did.

I'd also like to say we have a library card ($15 of our summer wages) which we promptly put to use in renting what has become our traditional summer evening activity: watching motion picture films. You're allowed three at a time, and I picked out our first batch: Finding Neverland, The King and I, and Harvey (with James Stewart). I'd never seen any of them, and they all seemed likeable enough. I mean, who can read "Elwood P. Dowd is a mild-mannered, pleasant man, who just happens to have an invisible friend resembling a 6-foot rabbit" on the back of a DVD case and not thirst for more? Maybe we'll watch that one tonight...

Meg's got another job at a sandwich shop, which she loves...but I'll let her tell you about that. You know how she gets when things excite her. I've just finished delivering fliers to all the cutsie little $300/night bed and breakfasts around here, an escapade I highly enjoyed. The cobblestone streets and grey-shingled buildings and brambly bare rose bushes are very quaint together, and the weather is getting better and better. I think pretty soon I'll be rid of my top layer all together (I've been wearing at least 3), which would be very nice. Of course, I'm knocking on the wooden library table as I type...

In other news, last week was wine festival. More about that later. Haha.

So Dad, it seemes there is no need for you to wonder anymore about your daughter's doings throughout the week...this pretty much sums things up! Ideal really is a good word for my life at the moment... With the understanding, of course, that it is only a moment.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

Been there. Done that. Passing out those flyers helped me figure out my way around town. I hope you guys are doing well!! I love you all!

Nikki said...

I'm so glad to hear from you, Steph. I mean I love Meg's perspective, but it's nice to see the island from yours as well. ALSO, I received your postcard in the mail. I'll relay it on to Deb and Hay, who I will, in fact, see this weekend. I'm glad everything's going well. MEG- I want to hear about your other job, too.

deb said...

I miss you guys. Sad face. Folding sweatshirts, rickety bikes, sounds like a blast.

ida.ho said...

i'm jealous. did i tell you that i'm jealous? i am. jealous. sounds like you are having an adventurous time. which i am very....jealous about. heehe.

Team Jogan said...

i miss you. don't worry i get on and read this... every once in a while :)