Sunday, August 10, 2008

I love kind old men...

and I don't care how creepy that is! I had my first sunny day off yesterday since...since...June? Third maybe? It's be a LONG time. And I work LONGGGG days. Where to start? There is so much of the island I have yet to see in the sunshine! I strapped on my backpack and headed off on my bike (only after I finished the 4 hrs at my morning job), following whatever random bikepaths I came across until I reached an unmarked dirt trail. What do you do in that situation but ditch your bike and see where it goes? So I did, and I found myself in a desereted grassy clearing, perfect for an afternoon nap. After a restful 20 minutes in the sunshine I headed off again, this time eventually coming upon Bartlett's Farm, where my friendly old man comes into play. I was riding on the winding dirt roads between feilds of delicious-looking produce when my craving for fresh vegies got the better of me, and pulled off next to a field of tomatoes. Jamaican men were harvesting food just inside the gates, so I called to one of them. "Hey, where can I buy one of those?" The guy looked up from under his straw hat and smiled at me. "You want a tomato?" he asked, picking a very large and juicy one off the vine, "Here you go." "THANKS!" I said, cupping the tomato with both hands. I'm not sure why I did that...but it seemed like such a treasure. Stuff doesn't come cheap on this island, and it DEFINATELY does not come free! Then I headed down the road again, ending up on the painfully sandy (have you EVER tried dragging a bike through the sand) and tourist-strewn waters of Cisco Beach. I didn't stay there long. I decided to see how long it would take me to find my way back just following my intuition. Fifteen minutes, tops! I'm really good with directions I guess. For a visual of my travels, see the map below. I started from town, and our home is where the heart is. No pun intended.

2 comments:

Dani said...

YAY for fresh tomatoes! mmmm.

Nikki said...

Fresh garden tomatoes are the best, especially when they come from old men gardeners.